Today I made caramel sauce for my homemade popcorn. I searched the internet for recipes and found two I liked. Most of the recipes I found include almond butter as an ingredient. I get it: healthy is nice. But when I want caramel sauce I want caramel sauce gosh darn it, not some weird substitution (I’m actually really excited about trying the almond butter recipes, but you know what I mean. All these unusual-ingredient-recipes-for-something-that-is-really-just-liquid-sugar make us vegans look like hippy weirdos, and we don’t want the world knowing the truth about us just yet 😜).
Caramel Sauce #1
This is the one I made today. Original recipe can be found here.
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- Combine ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat until sugars dissolve, then increase the heat to medium-high and boil.
- Stir often until it reaches desired consistency.
Caramel Sauce #2
I haven’t made this one yet, but look forward to comparing it to the first in flavor, color, and consistency. Original recipe can be found here.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegan milk
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- (optional) 1 pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients except for vanilla.
- Boil for approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Apparently this sauce with ‘set’ and need reheating for it to be pourable after it cools.
This weekend I plan to make brownies and more caramel sauce to drizzle on top. I’ll probably make popcorn again too, so that the rest of the family can try caramel popcorn. I was a total hog with it today. Yum!